Having a car can be a good thing.
But then you weigh the pros and cons and notice that it’s ok to live in DC without it.
- You have freedom to explore the DMV* more than a few miles.
- You can escape the city at any given point.
- Group outings
- Can lessen travel time
- Registering your car at the DMV** (I hear this is nightmare-ish)
- Tickets (our church actually budgets for tickets for their church van)
- Gas prices
- Parking (usually metered or parallel or zoned two hour parking)
- Did I mention tickets?
I’ve lived for over a year without a car. I’m not great at asking people for rides, but my roommate definitely is. Now that I’ve figured out more bus routes, I am better, but you definitely want to make friends with people with cars. 🙂
*While most places DMV stands for Department of Motor Vehicles, in DC DMV stands for DC, Maryland, Virginia.
**In this instance DMV actually does stand for Department of Motor Vehicles.